The cooking process involves first boiling potatoes till cooked but firm and then deep frying. It is a simple process and takes few minutes to cook. Most people like to boil the potatoes with the skin on after thoroughly washing to remove any soil particles.
Once cooked, the potatoes are peeled and immersed in a specially prepared batter. The batter's consistency and spiciness plays a vital role in the final taste of the food. It could be prepared by simply mixing water, a little salt and wheat flour, or one or more spices could be added.
|Garlic Spiced Deep Fried Potatoes|
In this recipe, I added garlic to the batter. You may need to prepare the batter as you boil the potatoes. Note that they should never crumble once cooked. They must retain their shape.
Other than the potatoes, these are the other ingredients that you will need.
For the batter:
- 1 1/2 cup of water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 4 pcs crushed garlic
- A pinch of food colour
The above ingredients are for cooking about five medium sized Irish potatoes.
Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and make sure that there are no lumps.
- After the potatoes are cooked but still firm, peel them and set them aside to cool.
- Put enough oil in a deep frying pan and heat it. Do not let it become too hot.
- In the meantime, cut the potatoes into your desired shape; cubes, oval pieces etc.
- Immerse the potatoes into the batter and coat all sides.
- Deep fry the pieces until the batter coating is cooked. Do not use very high heat.
- Fry all sides then remove and place on paper towels to drain off the excess oil.
They may also be cooked in the morning for breakfast and served over a cup of tea or coffee.
|Garlic Spiced Deep Fried Potatoes with Amaranth leaves|
Equally, you could serve with stir fried vegetables for more nutrients. In the above picture, the potatoes have been served with steamed and stir fried amaranth leaves. They make a great accompaniment.