The mandazis are great in the morning for breakfast or at any time of the day. They are normally served with a cup of hot tea or any beverage of choice. Mixing and kneading does not take long and it requires few ingredients.
- 4 cups of wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 4 tablespoons margarine/butter
- 5 tablespoons of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 cup of water/milk
- Put the black pepper in a small mortar and pound till roughly grounded.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and black pepper in a bowl.
- Use a spoon to add the margarine/butter to the flour mixture and mix well using your fingers. Take some amount of the margarine and run it through the flour mixing the two with your fingers. Do this until all the flour has been mixed with the margarine.
- Pour in the milk/water into the flour bowl and mix. Knead the dough to a smooth consistency.
- Let it stand for about thirty minutes then divide the dough into four smaller portions.
- Add oil to a deep frying pan and bring the oil to high heat.
- In the meantime apply some flour on a rolling board or flat surface, then using a rolling pin roll out the first dough to a circular shape.
- Cut the dough into four equal pieces as shown below.
10. Once both sides are browned, remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
The above images show one circular dough being divided into four equal pieces. However, you may cut the dough into smaller pieces and cook them together depending on the size of the pan.
The black pepper gives the mandazis a nice flavour.
Since this recipe takes less than an hour to prepare and cook, these mandazis can be made early in the morning before breakfast and served with a cup of tea, milk or a glass of fresh fruit juice.
They can also be carried by the kids to school as a morning snack, or to the office.
Make yourself these delicious mandazis and please let me know how it went in the comments below.