Pilau is very common and much loved in various parts of the world. It goes by different names in different countries. In Kenya the meal is referred to as Pilau and is commonly served with a tomato salad popularly called Kachumbari.
Pilau can be cooked with meat or without it (Meatless Pilau).
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 1/4kg meat
- 1/4kg rice
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 1 onion
- Pilau masala or whole pilau spices
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- Crushed ginger
- In a saucepan, put in the crushed ginger, garlic and pilau masala and saute for a minute.
- Add in the cubes of meat and cook stirring continuously until the meat is browned and cooked.
- In the meantime, wash the rice and bring water to boil enough to cook the rice.
- Once the meat is cooked, after about twenty minutes, pour in the the boiling water and bring to a boil again.
- Add the rice and salt. Cook until the rice is done and all the water has evaporated.
- Serve with kachumbari.